Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday...


Been too lazy to upload photos, so you're getting this oldie goldie of Evan from last March. My, how he's grown...

I've decided to attribute the recent burst of energy that I have to spring fever. The birds are singing, its getting lighter earlier, David takes the boys out to play most evenings so I can get dinner together in peace, and nobody has been sick for a month...

I go to the library about 2-3 times a week these days. With all the book requests I make, it's rare that they all come in at one time. It's a good thing we live 5 minutes away. Last night, I even picked out a few for myself. I also had to swing by the Dollar Tree to get glow stick bracelets.

We're learning about jellyfish, so the boys get a jellyfish bath later. We'll turn all the lights off and watch it glow. :)

I was reading through some old journals the other day, and I wrote about my job as an exhibit educator at the Capitol Children's Museum in D.C. (My B.A. is in political science, and my M.A. is in History.) Yes, I was hired to teach chemistry labs to children. I blew things up, froze things, made potions that changed colors, etc. It was a really fun job, and I wrote in my journal that I thought this job might help me out as a future homeschooling mother. I was intimidated by science before that job, but thanks to a wonderful boss who loved taking the most complex ideas down to a kids level, I lost that fear.

So I notice that I am planning a lot of science into our kindergarten days. I'm more naturally attracted to it than I would've though possible 10 years ago. Yay for being a more well rounded homeschooling mom!

I just finished an interesting book called "The Entertainer" by Margaret Talbot. She tells the story of her  father and his life as a actor that spanned a large part of the 20th century. He started as a hypnotist's assistant in the midwest, joined a traveling carnival, acted on the stage, and then made his way to Hollywood. He saw entertainment and culture change a great deal, and it's great social history. Really well written, and I was reminded a little of the way I wrote some of my papers in grad school. Talk about the individual, use it as a launching pad for a larger subject, try to make the transition look seamless, rinse, and repeat. =)

And in this week's meal planning triumph, I managed to stretch one chuck roast into a couple of different meals. I seasoned it with salt and pepper, it spent the day in the crockpot, and then I shredded the meat. We had cheesesteak sandwiches with sauteed onions, peppers and provolone the first time. The second time, I heated up pita and filled it with the rest of the meat, greek cucumber sauce, and lettuce. And this chicken marinade earned rave reviews with the man of the house..

Seth is up, and we need to finish up his math and handwriting before Ben and Evan awake, so I'd better run. Happy Friday!

No comments: