Monday, April 22, 2013

Bikes...


This is his starting block stance. He's about to take off and run at me to grab the camera and beat me over the head with it. What? Your toddler doesn't do that?

So, if I haven't mentioned it before, we've only got a couple of P.E. style goals for this summer: 1. Get Seth and Evan both swimming more confidently, and 2. Get Seth riding his bike without training wheels.

I think Seth must've overheard us talking about this because he told us a couple of days ago that he wanted to take the training wheels off his bike. Now, he told us this last summer, David took them off, and he then decided that he wasn't ready. Back on they went, and a year went by. 

David took them off yesterday, and then he ran with Seth, holding onto him or the bike, down our street and back again, over and over. Seth did really, really well. We were both surprised. There were many times when David was barely touching him, and he was balancing great. He's so pumped about this. I took lots of video, and he can't wait for Daddy to get home so he can do it again.

David is going to get his workout for the month running Seth up and back. It'll be good for him, right? (says his lazy wife...)

There were plenty of kids in the cul de sac for Seth's big moment yesterday evening. I got a couple of the older ones to help me manage Ben so I could video. Evan and our neighbor's daughter rode their bikes (with training wheels) alongside him to cheer him on. It was a perfect spring day, not too hot, not too cold. Our neighborhood was looking its best. It's during the 2 weeks that our azaleas all bloom. 

I hope he'll remember what it felt like to ride his bike with just his own balance and a little faith and hope. Big stuff, this milestone...

No comments: