Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother’s day…

wine glass

I don’t even drink, and I want this. =)

It’s been a busy week, and I’ve had a hard time feeling emotionally balanced. All the running around left David and I feeling pretty grouchy and ragged by the time we made it to Friday at my parent’s house. I wasn’t the most positive person to be around as we kid wrangled to get the family picture my mother wanted. Sorry, Mom…. and everybody else in my family.

It’s waay too easy to feel sorry for yourself when you’re a mom to three young children. I feel like I’ve been on a downswing emotionally… just tired and grouchy and wanting a break more than usual. Trying to get the boys out the door in the morning to go to meetings seems harder, getting lunches on the table seems harder, etc., etc.

But tonight, as I was cleaning up, sweeping the porch, watering plants, etc., I felt myself start to relax and get re-centered, for lack of a better word. Maybe it was the quiet walk around the cul de sac with grumpy Ben in the stroller. Maybe it was talking to my neighbor who is a proud new grandma. I don’t know, but I was thankful.

And a little song that my mom taught me when I was a child started playing in my head. “If you want to be great in God’s kingdom, learn to be a servant of all.” It’s true. And I do want to be great in God’s kingdom, so I guess I’d better get on with it and stuff the bad attitude.

So when my amazing husband offered to drag his exhausted self into a Mother’s Day frenzy for me, I said “no.” He’s just as worn out as I am. He’s ordered me a pizza to be delivered to our house when we get home from church tomorrow. We’re going to skip Sunday School to have a little more relaxed morning before we head to church. And he’s going to go across the street to Burger King and get me something greasy for breakfast. =) That’s MORE than enough.

I am beyond blessed. I have three wonderful children, and I get to enjoy them every day. This will (probably) be my last Mother’s Day with a baby in my arms, and I’m going to enjoy that to the max. Sniff.

Happy Mother’s Day, y’all. Whatever you’re doing or getting, let that be more than enough. We are blessed….

No comments: