Monday, April 23, 2012

Catherine’s brisket….

I’ve got a good friend who is a wonderful cook. I really can’t think of many things that she’s ever served me that haven’t left me swooning at the first bite.

She also happens to live just down the street. When she calls up and says, “Hey, we’ve got half of a homemade apple pie that we don’t want to eat. Do you want me to swing by and bring it to you?,” I’d have to be a complete imbecile to say “No.” I never say no. Never.

I’ve told her that if she ever decides to move away, I’m lying on the ground in front of the moving truck until they haul me away.

Soooo, about her brisket. It’s to die for. I made it today, and I highly recommend you try it.

I digress, but did you ever stop to think how much we owe the humble cow? Steak, hamburger, milk, cheese, cream, butter…. I could go on. Hug a cow when you get a chance.

Catherine’s Brisket

5 ½ lb. brisket

Mesquite  or original flavor liquid smoke

1 T. each salt, chili powder, sugar, garlic powder, and onion powder and a little pepper

Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce

Coat the brisket with liquid smoke. Combine spices and rub them on the brisket. Put it in a large roasting pan, fat side up, cover it airtight with foil, and roast it for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. (I let mine sit in the fridge for several hours after putting on the rub and the liquid smoke to let it marinate before roasting.) Then you turn down the temperature to 200, and roast another 8-10 hours (closer to 8 than 10). Let it rest for a little while, and then trim the fat off before it cools too much. Then you carve it against the grain and serve it with barbeque sauce. You can also refrigerate it with sauce on the bottom and reheat it in the oven.

I cooked a 2 ½ lb. brisket, and I cooked it for 5 ½ hours, and it was perfect. I also used half the amount of spices in making the rub.

No comments: