Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Children’s books read on Youtube…

It’s been a long month. (One of these days, I’m going to write a blog post to my older baby hungering self, reminding me why I will need a rubber room if I have another baby, but that is a post for another time. =)

Anyway, David was off yesterday, experiencing the insanity that is my everyday experience. I’d taken Seth with me to the Wal of Mart for some much needed one on one time (and milk and bread and dental floss.) He was left with 1) a grumpy baby that wanted to be held, and 2) a perpetually whiny toddler that (lately) is guaranteed to fall on the floor crying when you tell him you can’t read him a book. Out of sheer desperation, David decided to go on YouTube and search for “Curious George Flies A Kite,” (seeing as that was the desired book.)

What happened next has changed my life for the better (much like the invention of paper plates, Lysol wipes, and white noise machines.) Feast your eyes on this, exhausted mothers of insatiable readers everywhere!

 

I want to find goldfishman82 and give him a big, grateful hug. He reads in an interesting, calm voice, shows all the pages and text, and helps me to feel like they’re getting to enjoy books when I just can’t read one more. I want him to make many, many more of these. He did make a few more… just click on his name for the rest.

Alas, my friend goldfishman82 is a rarity on YouTube for fine reading voice, readable text on the page views, and no animation (basically, a reading that is as close to you reading as possible). I have found another source which is usable… but you have to be ok with a somewhat odd British accent. Try this collection if you can handle that. Since Seth has learned to yell “Help and bother!” and say things like “Mommy, Ben is ever so wiggly,” from our Kipper the Dog viewing, I guess we can handle a little more Anglophilia around here….

Isn’t this fantastic?!!! (Ok, a lot of you won’t be THAT excited about it, but I am, and I’m cool with that. =)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yes, my kids picked up, "Brilliant" from Kipper, among other things! But I love Kipper...

I like stuff on YouTube, but you do have to be careful. Things that you don't want your kids watching are only a very quick click away...

Also, at consignment sales you can usually pick up some videos that are of someone reading Dr. Seuss stories. Have you seen those? I love those and the kids do too... stories like the Cat and the Hat, One fish Two fist Red fish...
I think I have some extras I'll pass on to you...

Ellen said...

I did see some of those Dr. Seuss stories on YouTube, but they didn't meet my criteria for a "read" book. They didn't show the text.

And my kids aren't allowed to click anything on the computer yet, so that helps with keeping them from seeing anything bad just yet... =)