Wednesday, October 05, 2011

easy hamburger and vegetable stew

Well, it’s time to get back to cooking again! We were given meals by sweet friends 3 times a week until Ben was almost 7 weeks old. I feel very spoiled and loved… and I appreciated every. single. meal. It was such a huge help.

But now I’m getting back into cooking again… and I pulled out the crockpot yesterday. This stew was easy, had cheap, healthy ingredients I had on hand, and had a nice, comfort food flavor.

Crockpot Hamburger and Vegetable Stew

6-8 white or red skinned potatoes, chopped

4-6 carrots, chopped (I’m buying peeled baby carrots again to save my sanity, so more of those if you’re using them)

1 onion, chopped

1 lb. ground beef, browned (I have browned ground beef in my freezer, so I put it in the crockpot partially frozen.)

1 cup tomato sauce and 1 cup of water

Salt and pepper to taste

1 bay leaf

1 T. Italian seasoning

2 tablespoons rice

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5.

Serve with cornbread if you a) don’t have 2 little boys under the age of 5 or b) squeal with glee at the idea of sweeping up many, many cornbread crumbs off the floor.

I cut up the onion and carrots the night before and put them in a bag in the fridge, and I took out the frozen ground beef and put it in the fridge overnight. I also took out all the other ingredients and put them on the counter with the crockpot. That’s the only way I can do something like this in the morning with 3 tiny boys to help get ready…

No comments: