Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Custom shirt on the cheap...

This is my first attempt for DIY day at A Soft Place to Land. I've really enjoyed checking out the great projects, so I thought I'd dip my big toe in the water now. =) I have a 5-month-old, and I'm trying to lose baby weight. That means that a) very few of my clothes fit and b) I don't want to spend a lot on them right now. Enter the frugal customized shirt.

Here's how you do it. Go to Walmart and buy a shirt for $6. Count yourself lucky that it's not tummy hugging. Do a little cheer, and then go to the craft section and get a couple of colors of embroidery thread for $0.25 a piece. Pick up a cheap embroidery hoop and some needles if you need them. Straight pins are a good idea, too.

Take it all home, and get busy. Take various sized cans out of your pantry, trace around them on printer paper, and then cut out. Pin the circles on your shirt, playing around with the design. (You can see how I've done it above.) Then put your little hoop around each circle, and embroider around it. I used what is essentially a basting stitch because I'm lazy. =) It took me about an hour to do the whole thing.

I wore it to MOPs, and nobody could tell this was a DIY job. Pair it with some dark jeans, boots, and a scarf, and you've got style!






4 comments:

Ellen said...

Oh yeah, tie off the embroidery thread on the back side when you're done about two or three times. I've put this through the wash, and nothing came out.

Ivy Mom said...

Thanks for the clever idea! I've been lamenting over my hodge podge wardrobe for a while now. Might just have to try this one! Oh, and do you have a recipe for the yummy looking soup pictured in your Mountain post? Looks tasty....bread too!

Brandy Vencel said...

Well done!

Moore Minutes said...

Wow, I'm impressed. This looks really good. Well done!