Tuesday, September 01, 2009

At 10:12 p.m.

Lazy evening. David is working at home tonight. I've been surfing Craigslist for bristle blocks with no success. I'm also currently ignoring the giant pile of laundry that I should be folding lurking over there in the corner. And hoping Seth won't be too disappointed that I haven't yet sorted the 131 pieces of train track, etc. for his train table. I just ate half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And you're still reading this drivel... =) And in the spirit of drivel, here are some unconnected thoughts for my poor, slightly neglected blog...

- The picture above is my current favorite one of Evan. That's how he looks most of the time, really. If I don't brush his hair after his bath, he gets an Alfalfa mohawk on the back of his head. Love his baby curls. I got this picture without a flash, using the A setting on my camera. I took Evan with me in the Bjorn this week to a photography workshop at church. He was snapped a dozen times by practice hungry ladies, and I learned a trick or two. I also learned I need another lense to get good pictures indoors without a flash. Whatever... =)

- I think Evan is ready to be transitioned to a 4 hour schedule. He's probably really been ready for weeks now, and I've been afraid to try it because I didn't think he was old enough. Maybe if I can keep him awake longer, he might be sleepy enough to go to sleep and stay asleep for naps. Here's hoping... Anybody else had a 3-month-old baby that sometimes only naps maybe an hour and a half total... all day? Crazy, right? At least he sleeps really well at night now...

- My parents are taking me and the boys to the cabin at the beach this weekend. David has to work, so he won't be going with us. September will see him having 3 "events with criminals", probably back to back. After he told me this, I turned to him, shook his hand, and said, "It's been nice knowing you. See you in October." I'm half kidding. It hasn't been that bad yet. I'm thrilled he's been able to work at home at night this week.

- This life feels sometimes like we have the sword of Damocles hanging over our heads all the time. You know that story? It was hanging on a thin horse hair over his head, and he knew it could snap at any moment. Well, David's job feels kinda like that. One day, things look free and clear. I'm looking forward to a fall of pumpkin festivals, camping, maybe a trip to see friends or family. The next day, David could come home and say, "Well, a guy I never thought would do this decided not to plead guilty. Since we have a confession from him, I don't see how he could possibly win, but 'we're having an event.' " And then usually a couple of weeks/weekends of ours are toast. The sheer unpredictability of it all is one of the hardest parts for me.

- I'm looking forward to soup weather. I love to make soup. I have a variety of good recipes, and I love to make nice bread or homemade rolls with it. I usually just use my breadmaker to knead dough, but I remember once setting it to be done with a loaf when we came home from church on a cold, windy fall day. We walked in the door, and the smell of fresh bread hit me, and I thought about the pot of minestrone I would be pulling out of the fridge and putting on the stove. Mmmmm....

5 comments:

Amy said...

Hey girlie! :) That's so great you're getting some photo classes. My brother bought my SIL a new Rebel for her birthday and she got 5 free classes with it from the store. She could bring a friend so she invited me to go along. 3 lessons down 2 to go...I've learned a little but it's pretty basic and broad to cover almost all cameras they sell. But I'm really excited for another photo class Drew and I will be doing together soon. It's a small group at my brother's church that my SIL took it the last time they offered it. She said the guy is great and goes really in-depth (Drew will LOVE that). She showed me the hand outs from it and I'm impressed how much time and effort this guy puts into it. Can't wait for that one to start.

Oh and since we moved back we've gotten a couple new lenses. The first one we bought was a telephoto--for B's school programs and such. I discovered it took WAY better pics then the lens that came with our camera. So I left it on and used it ALL the time! Drew didn't know till he saw me stand 1/2 way across the house to get a full pic of one of the kids and he asked what I was doing! :) When I said I'd been doing that since it took better pics he started looking for a good (for the lack of not knowing the correct term yet) normal lens. (Since we both like to take pics we decided it was our mother’s and father’s day and anniversary gift…and maybe some other holidays too!) It's the one (once I know how to use it) I won't need to use the flash inside. It takes great pics...so I say save your $$$! It's worth it...or will be after I finish all these photo classes! LOL! ;)

Wish we were still there to do photo classes together! Take care! Miss y'all so much!

Amy said...

OH MY WORD! I guess I should have sent an email! I need to go to bed! I'm rambling on and on...but then again you know that's just how I am! ;)

Kristin said...

William didn't nap well until I got pregnant with #2, and I'm convinced that is entirely the grace of God in my life. :) And I couldn't ever get him to go longer than 2.5 hrs. between feedings, even at 3 months. BUT he slept well at night. Every baby has their thing.

Ivy Mom said...

Be encouraged! Lane and Tate were both 45 minute nappers at this age. It took some time before they lengthened the naps. Lane took longer to get the hang of it. Tate looks like he's finally starting to head that direction. At just shy of 4 months most days he's taking one long one (1.5 hours) and 2 shorter ones (45 mins each). And then again, every day is different! Today was two long ones. I hope he pulls a repeat soon! And I hope for your sake Evan picks up on it soon too. Tate has slept longer now that we did the self-soothe-to-sleep bit too. I'm sure you're well on your way! But really - it was weeks of 3, 45 min. naps and I could hardly believe a child could survive on such sleep. Ok - sorry for the ramble. I just want to be encouraging, because I would get SO discouraged when I heard him "squak" after only 30 mins! and then up for another 1.5-2 hrs before the next short snooze.

Oh - and I'm all about some winter soup. I'd love to have some more recipes to choose from if you post such things!

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, my laundry always seems to stay like that. It is the hardest thing to keep up! We have already broke down and had soup :). We had the taco soup that I make. I do need some more soup recipes. I think you gave me a couple already. I just need to dig them out of my recipe stash. Anyway, Mike and I were just talking about "time" tonight. Like you and David and with his deployment ending...how to balance life's responsibilities with life's recreational activities. Well, I need to email you, too, 'cause I am starting to ramble also and I have a couple of other things I wanted to mention...The pics of the boys are so sweet and cute. -Paula