Friday, July 24, 2009

Pennies in Pasta... and more...

We've been crazy busy this week, so I'm pretty tired today. Well, 'cause of that and the night owl 8-week-old at our house... =) But I did find a website that's a tired mother's best friend. Check out all the examples of Tot Trays here. They inspired me to come up with this activity with what I had on hand. And that was... a plastic bowl, a half used box of colorful pasta spirals, a ton of pennies, and the little glass bowl I use for soy sauce when we have potstickers. Which we're not eating right now because they are incredibly time intensive, yet delicious. So... dump a handful of pennies in the pasta, stir them around, and then have your toddler pick them out and put them in the glass dish. The glass dish makes a satisfying clink when the pennies hit it. =)

This is one of my best thrift store finds ever! When we were at the beach, we stopped at a local thrift store that was not owned by the overpriced Goodwill people. They'd also never heard of CPSIA. =) And that's where I found these great bear beads and the foam board they go in. They're perfect for Seth's stage of fine motor skills right now. And... the whole thing was $2! I'm also looking for educational toys, and they're hard to find for cheap...

And this picnic table was $5! It'll be great for doing messy crafts outside and having picnics. Seth loves picnics these days.

1 comment:

Missy said...

You want me to tell you something I did for my pre-K kids? It seems like something you would like and the kids loved it.

Get some red cardstock and cut out apples. Write numbers on the front and with a hole punch, punch out holes to correspond with the numbers.

Now here is the fun part - go to a store like Academy and buy tackle worms - for fishing. The rubber ones that feel real and wiggle.

The kids stick the worms thru the holes in the apple. It's so fun!