Sunday, July 12, 2009

Homemade egg mcmuffins...

One of the nicest things that I was given after Evan's birth was a package of homemade egg mcmuffins. A friend brought them over frozen, and I would take one out each morning and pop it in the microwave. They were such a lifesaver that I thought I'd make a big batch while my mom was here to help.

So here's how ya do it... Buy some english muffins, and cut them in half. Lay them out on a cookie sheet, and heat up your broiler. Toast them under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes, until they're just a little bit crispy. Then scramble up some eggs, one egg for each muffin. I added a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper and a little milk.

Then you're going to need this gizmo you see in the bottom picture. It's called an egg poacher, and I bought mine at Walmart for $5. I put a little water in the bottom of a 10 inch pan, brought it to a boil, and then poured the egg in each cup. Then I put the lid on, and a couple of minutes later, they were done. I sprayed the cups with canola oil, and they slid right out easily. I also tried doing some with canning lids, but that didn't work nearly as well. It's worth buying the gizmo.

After the eggs and muffins were done, I put one egg on each muffin bottom, buttered the inside of the muffin top, and then added a little lunch meat ham and a slice of cheddar cheese. I had to tear the cheese to fit and not hang out too much around the edges. After they were done, I wrapped each one in plastic wrap and filled a big ziploc bag with them. Done! An easy breakfast for a mommy who usually needs to eat with one hand...

2 comments:

littlebeemama said...

What a great idea! I'm going to have to make some for us.

Anonymous said...

we make egg sandwiches pretty frequently around here...sometimes on english muffins, sometimes bagels, sometimes toast...I just scramble mine in my saute pan without breaking them up too much, and they fit just fine (for those of you who don't want to buy another kitchen gadget :) I usually use bacon as well. Everyone loves them--and we fed a single guy friend with one last week, and he sent me a thank you note for it! So I guess he thought they were good, too...

Terri