Monday, June 01, 2009

Evan Vance...

Evan Vance was born at 10:28 a.m. on May 29th, weighing 8 lb., 5 oz., and coming in at 21 inches in length. He was born by c-section, and as they whisked him past my head, I thought, "He's bigger than Seth." Sure enough, he was a whole pound bigger! =) You think when you have a second boy that he'll look just like your first. Not so... Evan looks a lot more like my baby pictures than Seth ever did. He is beautiful in his own perfect way.

Our hospital experience couldn't have been any different from the first time around. =) Evan nurses like a champ, latching on really well from the beginning. I have thanked God for this over and over again in the past few days. He is not jaundiced, and he has kept his weight really well, not losing much at all. My milk even came in a full day earlier with this little guy, probably because he is such a good nurser. God has been so gracious in even the little things...

Being in the hospital was like a lovely honeymoon for the three of us. We got the chance to get to know this little one on his own, and it was wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to sleep on my back again in a bed that goes up and down. That's honestly one of my favorite things about the hospital experience. =) I also love nurses who take your baby at night so you don't have to put them back to sleep, food that comes when you call and order it, and sheets that are changed by other people. I was impatient to get back home after Seth was born. This time, I kinda wished we could stay just a little longer. Especially since we have to juggle two now that we're home...

Seth had a wonderful time being spoiled rotten by his Mimi and Pop Pop and his Great- Aunt Judy. They brought him to the hospital to visit us every night, and he was pretty taken with his new brother. "That's a BABY! That's a BABY!" He also liked the graham crackers and eating Mommy's leftover "cake" and walking the halls with Daddy. Now that we're home, he wants to talk about how the baby has a hat and hair and he wants to "touch" the baby. We missed him while we were away, and we're glad that he missed us. He loved taking a walk with his daddy while Mommy nursed tonight. So far, so good...

And here we are... I can't say enough good things about the man I married. When I am weak, he is strong. His tender care for me in every way melts my heart. I don't have to ask; he pours himself out in serving me when I literally cannot get up out of my hospital bed. I pray that his sons learn this kind of humble servanthood from watching their father's life. He is an incredible example for them to emulate.
Now we're home, and I'm loving walking around our house with my littlest man snuggled into my shoulder. This is where he belongs. He is an important part of our family now. I'm so thankful I get to experience the awesome newborn thing all over again...

12 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

IT'S ABOUT TIME!! ;) I've been checking your blog 10 times a day since Friday...I know I know that's silly...you were at the hospital...but you never know! :)

CONGRATULATIONS! Wish we were there to come by and hold little Evan and play with Seth.

Your pictures are amazing! Lots of love your way--Amy

Anonymous said...

Yippee!! Happy for you 4! You've been in our thoughts and prayers, and remember, if you need any extra hands during the day once family members return home, I should be available. :-)

Enjoy!!

Brandy Vencel said...

Many, many congratulations! He is beautiful. :)

Meredith said...

Oh, how wonderful! He looks soft and new.

So happy for your family, Ellen.

Anonymous said...

We are celebrating from too far away, but delighting anyway in our beautiful, healthy, happily-nursing nephew. Smother him with kisses for me.

Oh, and one more thing. MORE PICTURES!!!! :)

xoxoxoxox,

Aunt Terri

Speechless Mom said...

Congratulations! Evan is so beautiful and angelic! I'm glad nursing is going well and that Seth is enjoying his big brother role. Good luck with two!

Shannon said...

Yay! Congratulations, Ellen! I've been watching your blog over the past few days to see if there were pictures of your newest little man. He is adorable and looks so soft, snuggly, and...new. :)
I'm praying for rest for you guys, and smooth (and FUN) adjusting for Seth! :)

Kristin said...

Congratulations! Glad to hear everything went smoothly. This was a very encouraging post for me to read, especially the nursing part. I'm praying the same for me this time around!

I'll definitely be interested in your take on the one to two transition. I know whatever you have to say in the coming months will prove very helpful this fall.

Megan said...

Evan is precious!! And I'm so glad he's happy and healthy! We can keep Seth any time, just let us know.

Christa said...

Ellen, What a beautiful baby little Evan is. Congratulations!

Ruth LaBombard said...

Congratulations!!! We're looking forward to meeting the newest Bragdon sometime soon!