Tuesday, June 02, 2009

C-section vs. VBAC: The final analysis

I'm sitting here with my teeny one asleep in his infant carrier beside me. It's been a good day so far, which means that we both got showers and the house is pretty clean and straight, and David got the food for the week from the grocery store. Oh, and I got to nap with Evan in the crook of my arm. Like you see here... =)

But I thought I'd write and let you know the final conclusion on the c-section vs. VBAC debate...

As David and I drove to the hospital on Friday morning, me with my palms all sweaty from the thought of surgery, we talked about the c-section. We both wished that God would've just sent a sky writer to tell us whether or not this was the best thing for us to be doing. But that was not to be, so we just prayed that He would keep us from doing anything that was unwise.

Fast forward to about 10:40 a.m. My doctor was sewing me back up, and they had whisked Evan off to the baby room to take his vitals. This particular doctor was the one who was most in favor of me trying for VBAC. He didn't think the risks were very great, so he thought I should go for it if I wanted to do that.

So I was pretty surprised when he casually said, "You know, I think you made the right call to have another c-section."

Of course, I asked why he thought that...

"Well, the area of your uterus down near your c-section scar is very thin. It's translucent; I could see the baby's brown hair through it. When I cut into it, it gave very easily. I'm not sure it would've handled several hours of labor very well."

I am beyond grateful for confirmation that the VBAC wasn't a risk that we were meant to take. And I'm thankful for God's hand on us, keeping us safe through this delivery...

4 comments:

katie said...

wow, that story gave me chills!! So glad you made the right decision. Congrats on your beautiful new little man;)

Amy said...

WOW!! God is so good!! :)

Little Evan is so cute! Now that I know you've had the baby I keep checking the blog to see if there are any new pictures. Keep the pictures coming...you know how much I love babies. :)

NotTheMama said...

Congratulations on your new little man!! He is precious.

Brandy Vencel said...

Wow, that sounds familiar! God is faithful to protect us, that is for sure. I am so glad for you. :)