Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The successful playdate...

Ok, I don't know what I was thinking. Ok, I do, but I think I must've been having a really optimistic moment.

I scheduled the MOPs small group playdate for this month at our house. Yes, I am 38 weeks pregnant. Yes, my son has been a grump for the last week. Yes, I'm not sleeping well at night because I have developed pregnancy heartburn. =) And its my anniversary...

So I did a lot of praying last night. Seth has been testing limits all week. There has been a lot of discipline going on around here, and I'm tired. And I was really worried that sharing toys could quickly become an issue. So I did a lot of praying about it. It went like this, "Please, please, please, God, let him share his toys nicely. I'm begging. I don't know what I'm going to do if he doesn't."

This morning, I woke up early, as is usual lately. I made David a nice breakfast and ate with him. Then I took a shower, woke up the baby, and made ANOTHER breakfast for the playdate and did breakfast dishes. And Seth was angelic. He'd had a personality transplant since last night. We even got some time to play together!

Of course, this was the best attended playdate of the year. =) There were 7 moms and 9 toddlers here. It looked like a bomb went off in Toys R' Us. Have I mentioned that I'm a neat freak who's used to a child who voluntarily puts small pieces of dirt in the trash can, and puts away one toy before he starts playing with another? =) But God can change anybody because I was honestly relaxed. I let go of it all. And I think everyone had a good time because I wasn't spazzing.

Seth shared really well, and the hysterical meltdown only came in the last few minutes. He was on super overload. But we're all good now, and he's napping. And Roomba is cleaning my playroom. =)

So if you've been thinking of hosting a group playdate at your house, and you're afraid to because you're OCD and you've only got one kid... try it anyway. It'll be a growing experience, and you'll have a feeling of great accomplishment and gratitude to God after its over. =) For multiple reasons... =)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am so proud of you. :) I just wish I could have been there to see it! I knew you learned something from me...just kidding!