Monday, May 25, 2009

Shortcuts...

Today I made what will hopefully be the last big grocery trip before the baby comes. And as I was picking up the last few items, I had to smile. See, I was getting some things that we used last time to make it through the first several weeks with a new baby. It was a kind of fun memory.

At least for us, those first weeks were about survival. I was nursing Seth every three hours, around the clock, because he was small and jaundiced. I did this until he was 6 weeks old, and then the doctor mercifully consented to let him go 4 hours at a stretch at night. It was a big moment at the time.

But I digress... anyway, one of the things we did to manage was use paper plates, napkins, and plastic cups almost exclusively. We lived in a tiny apartment, and the sink filled up fast. Just this one thing helped a lot, so I've stocked up again. Yes, its not green or frugal or anything else, but we're talking about survival here.

Another thing I did was use the magical cleaning product above. I know, I know, I can't explain why its so much harder to get out the spray bottle and the sponge and run some water, but it just is when you're tired. If our bathrooms weren't filthy during that time, it was only because of these. A couple of swipes, and I was done. It was great. I threw a couple of these in my cart this morning.

Anybody got any other tips for things they did when their baby/babies came? I'm always looking for shortcuts for these early days...

2 comments:

Brandy Vencel said...

Oh, I lived on wipes after I had my third for a very long time. Good idea!

I wish I could help but I am generally out of it the six weeks after having a baby and I don't remember much. I feel terrible admitting that, but it's true...

I am so excited for you!

Momma B. said...

The only advice I have is to accept ANY help offered. It's often hard for me to accept help, not sure if this is true for you, but I usually try to prove that I can do it all and end up making everyone miserable!

Just remember that it's ok to let Seth watch some tv or videos. Because he will ALWAYS want your undivided attention when you are least available to give it...ie. nursing. I usually read to mine while I was nursing but only after my baby got the hang of it...until then we watched something on tv while I nursed. Just a thought. Love you!