Thursday, May 14, 2009

For Skipper...

"Skipper" Whitaker- 1990?- 2009
Skipper was my last horse growing up. Well, he was sort of a shared horse. My bachelor cousin got him to ride behind the hunting dogs during field trials, but he wasn't great at that unless you had strong hands and a good bit, so he became mine pretty quickly. =) I rode him at field trials during high school and part of college, and then he grew lazy and comfortable out in our pasture.

Whenever I came home, in need of a good release from the confines of dorm life, he was always ready and willing to oblige. We had many an invigorating gallop across the back field. He knew the special spots where I'd let him run, and I could feel him start to get excited as we neared there.

We'd come puffing and panting back to the barn. He loved a good hose down and curry. And he'd close his eyes with satisfaction when I rubbed his forehead. He was the only horse I ever had that would.

Time gets away from us all. I married and moved away. I had a baby. Sometimes I barely gave him a smile and a pat on a visit home.

Seth became the next child to enjoy him regularly. He went out to feed him with Dad whenever we'd visit. I wish he'd gotten a chance to ride him just once. Skipper was old, and he was gentle with my little one, just like he'd been with me.

His time came before I was ready. And I cried at my kitchen sink and thought about the blessing he'd been to me... and the end of the days of a girl and her horse. Rest in peace, old buddy. I miss you.

1 comment:

SMS said...

So sweet. He can keep Tiara company..wherever they are :)