Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Easy, cheap, homemade cards with a personal touch...

This is the frugal edition of Works for Me Wednesday. I've gotten so many good tips from WFMW that I wanted to give back. Even though

I'm not a card girlie. I know there are many people out there who love a good card. They even take out their big box of scrapbooking supplies and make them! This is not that kind of card making. =) I don't want to spend a lot of time, effort, and money on something that will get read once, and then be thrown away. I'd rather invest more in the present that goes with the card. =)

So here's what I came up with. I have my 2-year-old make most of our cards. The stuff he makes usually looks better than anything I could come up with anyway. =) I take out the construction paper, and he goes to town. Then I cut the construction paper in half, fold, come up with an artsy sounding name for his creation, write inside the card, and stick it in an envelope. What you say? You don't have the right size of envelope? One for greeting cards? Worry no more. Walmart has a big box of 50 of those puppies for about $3.50. You'd spend that on one nice greeting card, and this will let you send 50!

Now, I don't send this kind of card to everybody. But all family members and most other families with kids are fair game. It's working for us...

And the card above was made by running monster truck wheels through washable tempera paint. Great boy craft... =)



3 comments:

~*Michelle*~ said...

this card was brought to you by *insert your child's name* having fun and running his monster truck wheels through paint. that would be cute to print out on labels and stick on back of your cards.

:)

kristine said...

i do this too, in addition to his drawings, i show him the words happy birthday and he copies the letters on the card. have a nice day!

Julie said...

Nice card. My children consistently produce better stuff than I could too. It just seems more 'free and natural' doesn't it.
Thanks for the tip about cards though.