Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I'm totally with her...

I checked the Jessica Seinfeld "hide the vegetables" cookbook out from the library a few months ago. I was skeptical of the philosophy and formula, but I couldn't articulate why. Seemed reasonable, right? But, it sure sounded like a ton of work. Why not just put the veggies on the table at every meal like I always do and offer them to him?

So we did, and for several months, he wouldn't eat a single green vegetable. Except my mother's home canned green beans, which she won't give me in large quantities, even for her beloved grandson. But then, all of a sudden, without warning, he became a broccoli eating machine. He loves it! We had been offering the veggies all along. And one day, he decided to eat...

So I've decided I'm with this lady. No hiding the vegetables. We'll just keep eating them the way we've always eaten them. And some days he'll eat them, and some days he won't. Just like me. =)

3 comments:

Kim H. said...

And that makes life SO much simpler!

Perry and Amanda said...

I do both. I will put it in things so they don't think about especially stirfried rice or pasta but we always put what every veggie is being served on the plate they don't have to eat it but it has to be on the plate. Most of the time they end up eating it.

michelle said...

thanks for the shout out! and we ChowMamas agree with Kim H—it does make life so much simpler. (btw: nice knife skills! my son started with bananas and sausages. we haven't gotten to carrots yet!)