Friday, March 27, 2009

White wins...

Ok, apparently I'm the only person in the United States who would paint a plate rail the same color as the kitchen wall. The vote for white was unanimous.. both online and in real life. The best rationale was from Sarah, who explained that its another form of moulding and should match the existing moulding. So... I called the carpenter, and white it is. I will be posting before and after pictures when it goes up. And I'm excited about it getting done! It's a little hard for me to visualize exactly what it'll look like.

Doesn't seem like there's been a lot of blog worthy stuff to write lately. Life has been, well, life. We eat, we sleep, we play, I cook, we take walks. And frankly, I think it would've been better all around for me if I had never installed Site Meter. =) I think knowing that there are lots of random people, known and unknown, reading this blog, makes me more cautious about what I say, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I guess I'm realizing that I get particular impressions about others from reading their blogs, and sometimes those impressions are negative. I know, I know. But people are people, right, and we don't have to like everybody's personality all the time! But knowing that, I realized that the way I write and what I say might make me look annoying or whiny or repetitive or ungrateful or rabid or name your other adjective. So... I don't write as much, or I don't write as negatively, or something...

In an attempt to purge myself from this cycle, I shall tell you about my day in all its glory. =)

- I got up late and still got a shower because David was still here, and he got Seth up. Seth "helped" Daddy dress and fix his hair. We got to teach Seth the words "cheap product," since that's apparently what his new hairdresser calls the $3.99 mega-bottle of L.A. Looks gel that I get him at Walmart.

- I've discovered that I'm totally losing the battle of finding something, anything, to keep junk off my white kitchen floor effectively. Yes, I am obsessed with this. The Roomba won't cut it for many reasons, one of the least of which is that it takes an hour to actually get to the offending crumbs. One of those manual sweepers doesn't do it; I just chase bits of dirt around that won't get caught up in the brushes. The best thing is still the good ol' broom and dustpan. So I'm resigning myself to the fact that I WILL be sweeping my floor every single day for the rest of my life. I'm not bitter.

- We bought the wrong kind of fertilizer at Lowes last night. I looked out at our back yard and realized that if we used the 50 lb. bag of weed and feed on it, we'd have a yard composed mostly of dirt, since a good bit of our "grass" is chickweed. So Seth and I headed to the local Ace this morning for something without insecticide or fungicide. And the good people there loaded my van, and they're running a good rebate program on their fertilizer right now. I've already got the thing in a stamped, addressed envelope... =)

- Seth has been a grouch lately. What do you do when they say "no" all the time, whether they mean it or not? And he had a temper tantrum in Lowes that necessitated a disciplinary session. I am a bit flummoxed by the rapid shifts of happy to mad.

- We found a cool used bookstore today! It was across from the Ace, and we wandered in. They had a nice children's book section in the back, filled with delightful toxic, lead tainted, pre-1985 books. Ahhh, bliss. I almost bought a brightly colored 1963 Richard Scarry book to poison my sons with. =) Seth became absolutely fascinated with a big bead maze thingy, and I got to flip through a gorgeous illustrated copy of the Wind in the Willows for 30 minutes! (Of course, he has no interest in the little bead thingy at our house.) I loved those stories, and the awesome claymation PBS series. And when we left, the shop owner told him he could get a book out of the treasure chest by the front door. Yes, they give away free books to kids, as well as a free sucker! We will definitely be going back there sometime soon...

- I'm going out to dinner tonight with a friend. She wanted to take me out for my birthday, and this is how long it took to get around to doing that. I'm going to have a long, tall carbonated fountain beverage loaded with caffeine and sugar at my favorite Mexican place, where I am also going to order the big bowl of queso dip and lick it until there is nothing left. And Seth and David will be hanging out with her husband and kids. I'm looking forward to it. =)

- This poor baby is going to come out saying, "I... WANT... COOKIES..." And he's going to look like the Pillsbury dough boy. I'm convinced. I have zero self control when it comes to sugar during this pregnancy. I crave it all the time. I ate 5 chocolate chip cookies for breakfast the day. And some eggs. For protein.

Well, this has been cathartic. I hope you enjoyed this installment of Things You Didn't Necessarily Ever Want to Know about Ellen...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Just thought I'd say, I have a site meter as well, and I hear you loud and clear. My rationale for getting it was that if I knew people were actually reading, it would motivate me to keep up the blog. Well, there are people who read it -- people I don't know -- and because of that I feel ultra conscious about what I say or what I don't say on there. Hmmm. Perhaps the quick & dirty solution would be to take it off? But that wouldn't be any fun now, would it? ;)