Monday, February 09, 2009

Still here...

I've got the thought vaguely running through my head that I haven't posted for several days... and that was after posting a plea for help with my Jekyll and Hyde 2-year-old. Oops... =)

The day after I posted that, we took a turn for the better. =) I took him to a local free play time at a gym here, and I carefully warned him that we would be leaving in 5 minutes. He cried for about 2 seconds, and then continued playing. When I told him it was time to go and to say "bye" to the gym, he did it, and took my hand without any hesitation. There were no meltdowns that day. Whew! Things have been good since.

Terri sent me an email telling me that this waxing and waning of pleasant obedience vs. kicking at the goads may be my life for at least the next year. That seemed like a sensible way to look at it. =) My nephew is exactly a year older than Seth, and I appreciate the advice of somebody who's gone before me with a little boy so recently. And I got some other good advice from friends who emailed and commented. I think Rachel's idea to have time out in the restroom is a good one...

I'd like to post something coherent and smart, etc., but I have a cold in the head. I have trouble believing that even C.S. Lewis in all his brilliance could write well with clogged sinuses. It totally fogs you up... But we're makin' it through here...

David is gearing up for his third "send a deserving person to the hoosgow" event in a little over a month. Just for a sense of perspective, most of the other folks in his office have an average of 2 of these a year. He will have had 5 in less than a year, and there may be two more by May. And they're taking their toll on his body. He's been unable to fight off a cold he got two weeks ago, and he had a relapse this Sunday. He tallied it up the other day, and he's worked an average of 80 hours a week since the beginning of January. Yeesh. And I thought working for the government would be a really big change from being in the private sector. Hmmmm.... it is, but not in hours worked... sometimes.

So I'm holding down the fort, making more breakfast food from scratch (because I'm tired of cereal and I want something heartier and healthier), doing some crafting, and carrying on with the life that God has still charmed, despite the temporary difficulties.

1 comment:

NotTheMama said...

Ugh -- the vicious Winter-and-Spring-are-fighting-cold... It's hanging around our family too. I was almost over mine until I went with my sister to take her 3 boys to the doctor Saturday... Little boogers drank part of my Dr Pepper!
Hope y'all all get over yours soon! ;)