Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pumpkin Apple Breakfast Bread

I tried this bread recipe that I linked to earlier. It's healthy, delicious, and I think it'll freeze well. I'm looking for ideas for more breakfast items that are healthy and aren't cereal. If you've got any, please comment... I made a few modifications, so I'll post the way I did it.

Pumpkin Apple Breakfast Bread

3 c. whole wheat flour (I used white wheat)
3/4 c. sugar, heaping
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. allspice
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

3 eggs
1 regular size can of pumpkin
1 med. tart apple, chopped
1/2 c. applesauce
1/2 c. canola oil

1 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 (3x71/2 in.) loaf pans. Put first set of ingredients in one bowl. Beat second set, adding in dry, and then stir in raisins and walnuts. Bake for about an hour, until toothpick comes out clean.

This makes two loaves. I think I might double the recipe and freeze the extra loaves. It's a dense, hearty bread, so it is filling. Enjoy!

No comments: