Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First snowfall...

Here in the South, the weatherpeople get super jazzed about the slightest possibility of snow. They do standups in parking lots, excitement in their voices, pointing to non-existent clouds. Half the local evening news broadcast could be about that 35% chance of flurries that they're absolutely positive will be closing schools tomorrow. You wake up the next morning to... nothing. I've been burned enough times that I stopped listening. So when they said, "There's a major snow system headed your way. Your town will get 3-5 inches tonight!", I said, "Yeah... right. Heard it all before. Next."

I had a dream early this morning that I woke up to nothing when I opened my blinds. I was disappointed, but hey, it was expected. So imagine my shock when this was what I really saw out of my living room window! We actually did get the promised 3-5 inches. And I'm soooo happy. I have missed a good snow. It snowed when Seth was born almost 2 years ago. Maybe I'll always associate snow with watching a still, white world while snuggling a wide-eyed newborn. We really don't get much here. This is a rare treat that I'm planning to thoroughly enjoy.

And this is the first time that Seth has actually been able to experience the white, cold stuff. He and David went out this morning, and he didn't last too long before getting tired of wiping it off the car. But now they're trying again. This time I sent him out with a plastic spoon and a little bucket. We'll see if they have more luck. Since I am a skeptical southern mama who was totally unprepared, he has no snow boots and no snow pants. He's wearing his most plasticy shoes and what I like to affectionately call his "redneck snow gear." That would be a pair of sweatpants with a pair of jeans put on over them.

He gets the red nose when its cold from his mama. =) I'm sooo glad that David didn't have to go into work today because he brought all his prep work for his next big thing home with him. We slept late, and I got to make him a good, hearty breakfast (definition- includes sausage or bacon) while we watched the snow fall outside our kitchen window. Snow puts me in a cooking mood. I got it together enough to put pizza dough in the breadmaker. And I think snow calls for rice krispy treats... don't you? =)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hope you enjoyed your 3-5 inches, we got about a 1/4 in. here, and of course it was gone by lunch! But the kids enjoyed it while it was here!! I love snow days too, especially if Nathan can be home too, like today!