Monday, January 26, 2009

Birthday fun...

My parents came into town last night so Seth and I wouldn't have to have his birthday completely on our own. It was great! Everybody got a nice, big breakfast. I let Seth blow out a candle on his breakfast cornbread. =) He loves blowing out candles, and I figured he needed some practice before his birthday cupcake. Hey, if blowing out candles floats his boat, its his birthday! By next year, he probably won't even care anymore...

Then we all loaded up and headed to the local children's museum. I've been hearing about this place for awhile, but I decided not to take Seth until he was 2. I knew he wouldn't enjoy it before he could walk anyway, and I wanted to save something for a special milestone. Kids do things earlier and earlier these days. If we don't save something until later, what will they have to look forward to? Just something I've been pondering.... Anyhoo....

The museum was WONDERFUL! Keep in mind that I worked for a children's museum in DC, and I don't praise these places lightly. This children's museum is the best I've ever seen. The types of imaginative, hands on play that they had were right up my alley. He could spend years in there and not exhaust the possibilities for experiential learning. Several times, I marveled for a couple of minutes that I live in a country where places like this for kids actually exist.

The best part was that Mom and Dad split the cost with me of a family membership for the year. Now we can go back over and over again... and I think that's going to come in handy this summer with a newborn. And I can tell that Seth wants to return because he had the biggest meltdown of his life when we had to leave the big bus he was playing in. He whimpered and said, "Ride bus," rather pitifully at intervals all the way home. Very untypical behavior. It could also have something to do with the fact that the whole day was plenty overstimulating...

I talked to David on the phone tonight. He's in the middle of another big thing. Again. And I thought I was doing really well with it until I started crying right then and there thinking about how he missed Seth blowing out his candles today. There will be a little party on Saturday, but its not the same. Seth has been asking for him more and more the last few days. I didn't know how hard that would be to hear. I hate telling him that Daddy will be home in a few days.

We're hanging in there... Leftover chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting help ease the pain. =)


1 comment:

SMS said...

Now I feel super bad about not coming over last night :*( definitely coming over tonight!!!!!