Thursday, July 03, 2008

Lentil Taco Filling...

Last night, I tried this recipe from the Hillbilly Housewife, modifying it to meet my own specifications. It was really good with lots of flavor! And I felt so healthy eating dinner... =) I had raw spinach leaves and carrot sticks with it. Try it, especially if you're trying to come up with some tasty vegetarian things to add to your menu plan.

Lentil Taco or Burrito Filling

3/4 c. lentils, rinsed and drained
3/4 white or brown rice
4 c. water or low sodium broth (I used chicken)
1 or 2 bouillon cubes, if using water
2 T. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder

Put water in a 2 qt. saucepan, and heat to a boil, adding all ingredients as its heating. After it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45-50 minutes.

Afterwards, you can put it on lettuce for a taco salad or make burritos or tacos out of it. I ate it last night on flour tortillas with a little cheese sprinkled on top. Seth will be having some for lunch today with a little cheese. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Brandy Vencel said...

Thanks for posting this! We just got word that some of our vegan friends will be coming to visit for two weeks! I realized I need more recipes to make it through that length of time without even an egg. Very helpful. :)