Monday, July 28, 2008

The Best Nest...

Morning in the neighborhood.... Seth isn't up yet, and I'm sitting here with the leftover Dr. Pepper from yesterday, enjoying the beauty of the day.

This little family had a pretty quiet Sunday. Ok, quiet for us. =) During Seth's nap, David decided that he would go online and look for a good realty search site. He now thinks that ZipRealty has the best one. You can search using a map with houses flagged on it, and he thinks we may be able to get an autogenerated email list from that.
We also decided to check out a couple of houses I'd been curious about ourselves. That was really educational and informative for us. We've decided to cross an area of town off our list. If we'd like to live in a sketchy neighborhood, the one we currently live in is far better than the ones across town. =)

Another house I was curious about was a nice house in a nice neighborhood, but it needed a lot of updating, probably including a new roof, so potentially expensive updates. And there was a smelly runoff creek to the side of it. Hmmm.... wonder if my amazing, horticulturally erudite and landscaping architect brother could help with that problem? =) We asked a family walking by if they knew anything about it. Ahhh, mystery explained. It had been sitting there so long because the owners wouldn't budge on the price.

We came back home, and I felt empowered by knowledge instead of beaten down. =) I think having low expectations helped. I knew I would probably find that there were good reasons why those options weren't available, and that's what I found.

Sunday morning in church found me talking about the latest developments with our Sunday school teachers, who have recently moved. I know this probably shouldn't have been a surprise to me, but one of their first comments was that looking for a house is stressful and not a lot of fun. Well, at least its not just me! That made me feel a lot better in some unexplainable way.

When I get home from looking at houses, David sings me a little ditty with a tune he made up. Mom and Dad have the book called "The Best Nest" by P.D. Eastman. The little birdie husband sings, "I love my house, I love my nest, In all the world, My nest is best." So when we come home, and I look lovingly over our place, I get serenaded. =) It's great. I love it. If you haven't read the book, you should. My favorite part is when Mrs. Bird decides to build her house on top of the bell in the church belfry. I guess you can imagine how that eventually goes...

I think this house hunt thing is going to be an exercise in patient waiting. We can sit back and wait for something we can get excited about to come on the market. So we will... and I will stop looking at realty sites for the week. I want a break. Every day we stay in this place is a day that we're saving more money to put toward the next one. Win, win.

And we're going to the beach this weekend! Mom and Dad have an old fishing cabin that I've alluded to before, and its close to the actual sandy beach! So we're headed out on Thursday night for some family vacation time. Yeah!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love that book! I found a flap and pull one at Barnes and Nobles the other day. Yes, a good book! Keep waiting, just the right place will turn up eventually!! Love you!!

Momma B. said...

HOpe you have fun at the beash!

Shannon said...

I love that book too! I need to find it for my kids...
Have fun at the beach, and happy 18 months to Seth a couple of days late! :)