Sunday, June 15, 2008

7:47 p.m....

It's 7:47 p.m. The baby is in bed. My husband is somewhere between here and Wilmington, hopefully talking on his cell phone to his dad. I have done the daily, hopefully flea egg killing, vacuum cleaning. The house is.... quiet. I am very relieved. I will have pleasant things to say about the weekend later. This is where I talk about how it wasn't what I'd hoped. =)

Of course, it all started with the flea infestation on Friday morning. This led to flea bombing our house, covering things, having the neighbor open up and air out, going somewhere else to babysit, etc.

David got to Terri's dad's house by 4:00 p.m., so that was great! But... his trial wasn't over, so I had him going back to Wilmington tonight to look forward to all weekend. Blech. We both had slept horribly all week, really, him worse than me. He'd gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before. He was running on fumes.

Mom pulled in the drive at Terri's dads around 8:00 p.m. Then we had to do all the saying goodbye and forgetting things and remembering things and just the general chaos of packing up and coming back home for the night.

I was still worrying over the fleas, praying that the bombing had worked. We got home, and we went to bed. And I got bit by fleas in my own bed all night long. They were in my hair. I woke up several times. I'd made the tactical error of putting a sheet over the bedding before I bombed. Bad move. The fleas decided to come there and eat me since the carpets were a little less safe. I think the cat had slept on my pillow. In the morning, I picked a flea off David's pillow before I got out of bed. Gross.

So on Saturday morning, I was grumpy and worried. And David had already left to run a 5K with a friend that he'd planned to run long before this trial came up. He wasn't home, and I was flea bitten and worrying about what to do. Mom and Dad were here, and Mom was fixing a 5 course birthday lunch for Vance. I had to make homemade rolls. I was getting bit by fleas in the kitchen. Fleas love me. I'm their favorite flavor. I taste like kitty cat covered in chocolate sauce.

The kitchen filled up with stuff, since it's small, and we decided to move the kitchen table out on the porch to eat there. It was lovely, but very hot. Next time, I'm putting a picnic blanket on the floor and insisting we use paper plates.

Vance and Terri and the kids left, and David and I still had to figure out what to do about the fleas in the bed. So we went to Home Depot and bought some flea spray. It's supposed to kill fleas and their eggs. We got this huge bottle with a sprayer, and we stripped the bed. We moved furniture, we sprayed the mattress, and we washed the sheets, the pillows, the bed skirt, the mattress pad, and the duvet cover. We opened the windows and aired it out, and then we went out for fast food. We were really missing each other, since we hadn't seen each other all week.

No fleas in the bed last night! Thank you, Jesus, it worked. We still need to spray the rest of the house, and I'll be vacuuming religiously, but it seems to be getting better. So we went to church this morning, and it was the soul refreshment I needed. Which is good, because other refreshment would be in short supply. Vance and Terri came after lunch to drop off the kids, who then took over the bedrooms to nap. Mom and Dad were taking them home with them after their naps for a couple of days. I made myself into a pretzel on an armchair in the living room, and David just fell asleep on the floor. I really begrudged my adorable niece the use of our room at that moment. I love you, Claire.

The kids got up, got fed, and Mom and Dad left with two babies and half of Seth's toys. May God have mercy on their souls. And then we had all of an hour and a half together as a family before David had to pull out again.

I know that there are many, many worse things in the world than a tiring weekend that didn't go how we planned. But right now I'm feeling a little blue about it. We saw Vance and Terri and our adorable niece and nephew, and I wouldn't give that up for the world. We don't get to see much of them, so we bask in it when we do. But why did the house have to get fleas and David have to have a trial in the middle of all of it? Probably to remind me, once again, what a grump I can be when I have plans, and they don't match up with God's plans. I need to handle the teeny bumps in life a little better. I'm going to look back at this and laugh one day. Maybe after I stop scratching my legs. =)

No comments: