Saturday, February 02, 2008

Expensive enchilada sauce...

I went out yesterday to pick up a can of enchilada sauce for dinner. It was the only thing I needed. At this point, I wish I'd decided to serve mac n' cheese instead. As I was backing out of the parking space, I heard a honk, and then a sickening crunch. I was backing out at the same time as the guy diagonally across from me, and neither one of us saw the other. I still have no idea who hit who first. Somebody else honked; it wasn't either one of us. The guy was a middle aged dad, and he was quite nice. We exchanged information, and even though he only had some paint scratches, he offered to split the cost of fixed my dented bumper. It has a crater the size of two softballs in it. At this point, I'm pretty convinced that Honda van bumpers are made of some form of high grade tin foil.

When I got home, David had me diagram the accident on paper, including the position of the cars, and the positions of the damage on each car. In this case, he was inclined to believe that both drivers were negligent, therefore, each driver should probably pay the cost of fixing their own car. It's so handy to have a lawyer for a husband... So David told Fred the Guy Who Backed Into Me that he didn't have to pay. He said that if we got sticker shock after we got an estimate, not to hesitate to give him call. If you're going to get in an accident with someone, Fred's the guy to have an accident with, I'm convinced.

So... can of enchilada sauce- $1.25
Crunched bumper- approx. $1,000 for taking the whole thing off in one long piece and fixing and painting it. You better believe we're not calling the insurance about this one; I don't want our rates to go up.

Seriously, next time I want to go out and get one thing for dinner, I will think long and hard before I do it.

1 comment:

Momma B. said...

Oh, Man! SO Sorry! That's one thing about driving a van that took me a long time to get used to, the blind spots!