Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Not really sure what to say...

Hmm, I feel an interesting quandary today. Because of some heat that I took for "complaining about money" on this blog, I feel hesitant to share concerns that I have when our expenditures exceed our cash flow. That has happened to us occasionally recently, and it's hard on me. Because some of you have expressed the opinion that I have nothing to complain about because of my very real blessings, I have felt like I'm going to be attacked if I do share my minor struggles with learning to budget more tightly.

But you know, for all the people out there who think I'm whiny, there may be some out there who appreciate what I have to say. So for those of you who get something out of my journey and the things I'm learning, I'm going to attempt to shrug off the effects of these comments and continue on. Because, after all, I'm a real person writing what I write, and when people say hurtful things to me, well... it hurts. If you think I whine too much about money problems, please move on. We've established that that's your opinion. And if you do get anything out of this, please comment and let me know that. I don't know why any of y'all are reading my rantings anyway... =)

So on to my budgeting tip for the day! =) I don't know if most people know about this or not, but I learned a few years ago that you can get wrapping paper, bows, gift bags, and party supplies much more cheaply at the dollar store than you can anywhere else, even Walmart. I looked at a pack of party plates for Seth's party this weekend at Target, and they were charging about $3 for 12 of them. I got some really cute ones today at the dollar store, 16 for $1. Much better. I can always find cute wrapping paper there, and today I even scored some Sesame Street paper. Their large gift bags look like what you get at Walmart or Target, and they're less than half the price.

And today... I cut the cable. Da da da dum. I thought it would be a traumatic experience to go from full on cable internet to cable lite. Nope. Not a problem at all! I don't download large files, so I'm not noticing a slow down one little bit. I shoulda done this a month ago! If you're thinking about going lite, and you have regular high speed, just try it. I was told that I could get it right back if I changed my mind, so there's no down side.

Another thing I learned today was that I get free security and virus protection through the cable company. You don't have to pay extra for that kind of thing 'cause it's included! I installed it on the computer, and now I don't have to worry that I'm letting my cheapskate tendencies compromise our computer investment. (Our free trial with Mcaffee had expired.)

Have a great day! I know I'm going to! Seth is feeling a little more cheerful, and the snot is flowing a little less freely. The chicken is marinating, and I am getting out tonight for some fun with other mommies. The laundry may even get folded this afternoon...

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey Ellen,
Thanks for sharing in spite of some recent attacks that have left you feeling unsure. You don't have anything to be ashamed of, trying to be frugal. If someone has a problem with it, then it is THEIR problem and they need to look at themselves and figure out why they feel that way.
Anyway, Thanks.
Yes, I agree about the Dollar store bags and party stuff. Their bags are so cute and so cheap!! Have fun planning Seth's party!!

Sherry said...

I also agree. Why pay more for wrapping paper that is just going to be ripped and thrown away anyway. Also, their greeting cards are 50c instead of $3.99 like in other stores - and some of them are just as nice.
Well, gotta run. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you've felt you've been under attack for trying to be a good steward! It doesn't matter how much one makes... we all need to be budget-minded. Who's to say tomorrow that salary won't be cut?!
Thanks for today's tip! Have a fun evening!

Momma B. said...

I say keep the tips coming!!! Even if you save to save or save to survive your tips ARE money savers and I for one enjoy them! Hope you have a fun weekend!!! Wish we were there to wish the big boy a happy first!

Anonymous said...

Love your frugal postings!

Easier said than done, but don't think twice about what Miss Anonymous says. This is your blog and clearly you have several people who are interested in what you have to say:)

The Mom said...

Ellen, I read regularly, and have NEVER thought you were whinning.

I appreciate your view of life, maybe different from mine, but the same too in many ways

Keep posting and well done for being able to be honest about the realities of living on one income in the two-income western world.

H

Shannon said...

Great tips! What cable company are you with...I wonder if ours has a "lite" option...
And by the way, I happen to LOVE when you share helpful budgeting tips you've discovered. I think everyone benefits from practicing some discipline (at the least) in their spending habits. I don't think you whine.

Anonymous said...

Now that I know how much you blog I'm checking in to see what's up! ;) I had to laugh when I read about cutting cable...Drew always did this to save money when we lived in TX...but for some reason we could always afford it again when football season started! I'm not kidding he did this 2 or 3 years in a row...and he always cancelled it before my parents would come to visit and my dad would sit down to watch something and would look at me and ask--what happened to your cable?! And I'd have to tell him--we're saving money! :)

Michelle D said...

Oh man, I've got a long way to go in this area but I really want to be a good steward of our money. I've come a long way which is a little comforting. But then I feel so comforted I go out and buy some things:) I was paid very well for seven years as a nanny - I was live-in and they had a car for me, the works. I had zero expenses and I had so much fun with that money and didn't save a cent. While I loved taking my sisters out all the time and giving fabulous gifts I wish I could send myself back in time to talk to that girl.

I had fun perusing your blog a little. You have a cute little guy:) So exciting about Sarah's twins isn't it?! :)