Sunday, January 27, 2008

The birthday party...

It was such a great party! I can't imagine it going any better! Seth had so much fun, and I was so glad that he enjoyed it. Here is the rocket cake. It was super easy, and it looks so great because Mom frosted it. She's a frosting guru. I did everything else, but she frosts like no one else (especially when her nutbar daughter decides that a chocolate cake with white frosting is a good idea), so I gave that over into her capable hands. Doesn't it look great? I was pleasantly surprised that we pulled it off. I got the idea from the Family Fun website; just search for birthday cakes. Two tips... before cutting, chill the cake a bit to help with crumbage when you're cutting it up. Before you cut your design, make lines where you want to cut with tooth picks. That way you can line everything up and change it if needed before you start cutting.

We had the party at 4:00 p.m. so Seth could get up from his nap and have a long time to play before bedtime. People had started arriving, and I heard him waking up. He usually wakes up a bit cranky from his afternoon nap. Saturday was no exception. He was whining and crying, and I walked him into the living room. He saw all the people, and he saw the balloons David had tastefully arranged in every possible nook and cranny of the living room. He looked and looked, staring hard at the balloons, and then he smiled and squealed. Quite a change from Mr. Grumpypuss, and he hadn't even had dinner yet! I fed him dinner, and then it was birthday cake time. He'd been doing his serious stare at everything new in the kitchen, including his cake. You can see it in the picture above...
But when we started singing "Happy Birthday to You" this great, slow grin started spreading across his face. He smiled and smiled and squealed. It was a moment that I'll never forget. I wanted to tell everyone to sing it again 'cause he was so pleased. I let it go, but I know I won't forget. It's something I'll treasure up in my heart to get me through the terrible twos. =)

We're a chocolate family. If it's cake, it should be chocolate, in our opinion. We wanted to pass our bias on to our son, so it seemed appropriate to give him chocolate cake for his first taste of dessert. We've got to bias those taste buds early. He thought it was great. After the first bite, he opened his mouth wider and wider for more.

Here's the birthday crew, all camped out in the living room. This is before it got chaotic. =) We decided to invite grandparents and friends with little kids to this party. I thought about this one a bit, and I didn't want to tell people not to bring gifts since that seemed a bit mean to Seth, who would enjoy gifts. So I thought I'd invite his little buddies so he could give gifts back to them on their birthdays. The factor of how many people we could fit into our house on a cold January day was another issue. As it was, our space was slammed. =)

There were toys and kids everywhere... kids yelling and hitting at balloons and running down the halls and helping Seth open his toys and then taking his toys away from him. =) He didn't mind a bit today. That was a blessing. It was great mayhem, my favorite kind. I love the sound of happy children and laughing adults in my house. Rachel, Nathan, Emma, and Colin came all the way from my parent's for the party. My mom and dad and David's mom and dad came, David's parents all the way from Alabama! Then we had some local buddies, Bethany (age 2), and her parents, and Emma and Hannah (age 8 months), and their parents.

Can you tell he liked opening his presents? So far, the farm toy from Paula in Birmingham and the xylophone from us are the biggest hits. He got a lot of great new books from his buds, and he's going to love reading them nights with Daddy. He's also a big fan of this my first puzzle from Mimi and Pop Pop. It has nice big pieces and big knobs for hanging onto. My friend, Amy (Bethany's mommy), made him a personalized picture frame with his name on it. Now to print some new pictures so I can fill all those frames that are empty in my house...

3 comments:

Rachel said...

It really was a great party,
Thanks for letting us come and help celebrate!
Happy Birthday Seth!!!

Good job on the cake too, it looked great!!!

Paula said...

Seth, Happy Birthday again little buddy!  We love you!! I am glad your party was a success and that my present was such a hit with you. He, he! Anyway, we send our love. Ellen, you and your mom did a great job! Wish we could have been there. Love you!

Momma B. said...

Great job on the cake!!! Looks like you had lots of fun. Wish we could have been there!