Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Baby gift ideas and diaper doublers...

I wrote a few weeks ago about how Seth was leaking through the cheaper diapers. He did it for about a week and a half, at nap times and at night, so I switched to Luvs for a bit. But I had some Parent's Choice left, so I thought I'd try it again. Lo and behold, he doesn't leak out of them right now. I've been told by friends that babies can go through phases were they leak out of diapers, and then they'll just quit. So we're back to the cheaper diapers... but they're not working at night anymore.

He wakes up soaked in the morning... unless I use these things I found called Diaper Doublers. My friend, Paula, told me about them. They sell them in a pack of 30 for $2.99 at Babies R' Us. They look basically like a long maxi pad without sticky stuff or wings, and you put them down in the center of the diaper. They give you a whole extra layer. Since I've started using them at night, he hasn't leaked through once. I don't think they'd be a savings if you had to use them for every diaper change. At that point, you might as well switch to a more expensive diaper. But if you're just trying to keep your baby from needing a change at night, they really seem to do the trick. I know some kids leak through their diapers a lot, whether they're Pampers or Target brand, so if that's you, maybe this will help you out.

I'm heading out to get a couple of baby gifts today. David is gone for two weeks to do some training, and Seth and I want an outing to distract us from those long evenings without Daddy. I don't know how single mothers do it... evenings get long with a cranky baby and no help. We're going to my parent's house for a visit while he's gone, but we're not leaving just yet. I digress.... but anyway, anybody have any baby items that you just loved, that you would recommend as a gift?

4 comments:

Momma B. said...

Well, my favorite thing was the 12 hours of free babysitting! It's time you give up but it's a cheap gift for the giver! I also love my bumbo seat. SInce this is baby #4 for me, I really appreciated the cutesy things that I wouldn't have bought for myself. Something totally, not at all practicle. I also am looking forward to using my spa gift certificate, finally..5 months later! Just a few ideas.

Oh and I hear you about lonely nights! I always try to go visit my parents when Dan is gone, too. Enjoy your visit!

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with Kelli about the bumbo seat. (Too bad there was a recall...why don't people use common sense?!) Kate also loved her baby gloworm that played a few lullabies. We swaddled Kate for the first three months and loved using Boppy's swaddlers. A few come in handy!

I'd also think things like socks, shoes, and hairbows would make great gifts as they're things a mom would tend to buy in moderation, but would always like more of. And...who could ever have enough pjs? ; )

Have a fun time visiting your parents! : )

Momma B. said...

SO bumbos were recalled? Tells you how worried I am about such things! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I read your article. Its interesting and it happened to me...