Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ellen's Beef and Bean Enchiladas to feed a small army...

Ok, I made this last night, and David really liked it. I thought it was good, but I modified it a bit here, and I think it'll be even better. It's cheap, and it makes a ton. I ended up freezing 18 1/3 c. servings of it last night after we ate. We eat about 3 per person, so I froze them in 6 serving quantities, flat, in plastic bags.

Beef and Bean Enchiladas

2 green peppers, chopped/diced, depending on how you like it
2 onions, ditto
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. olive oil
2 (15 oz) cans pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed (I used pinto)
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatos and green chilies
1 lb. lean ground beef, browned, drained, and rinsed to get off excess fat
1/2 c. enchilada sauce
2 T. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2-1 c. cooked rice (this is filler more than anything. Not sure if I liked it.)
6 in. corn tortillas (these are just corn and water and salt, and they're better for you than flour tortillas. no lard)
enchilada sauce for on top
shredded cheese

In large stockpot, saute green pepper, onion, and garlic in oil. (In skillet, brown the ground beef.) Add beans, tomatos, sauce, spices, and beef to the pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until heated through and mixture thickens some. Add rice, and cook 5 minutes longer.

Heat corn tortillas in a wet paper towel in the microwave to soften. Spoon 1/3- 1/2 c. of mixture down the center and roll up. Put in casserole dish coated with nonstick spray. Spray enchiladas lightly with cooking spray if desired. Spoon enchilada sauce over the top. Cover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Bake a few minutes longer to melt cheese. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, I give credit to Kelli for making me think about trying to make my own enchiladas. She served us some good ones while we were in Texas. If you want her recipe, I'm sure she'd be happy to pass it along. =)

No comments: