Thursday, October 18, 2007

Shot down...

We're back from CBS. Seth is taking a catnap in his swing. I got shot down this morning, and I'm a little bummed about it. I asked the mom that I mentioned last week what she was doing after CBS. It was hard for me to ask, but I made myself do it, per the advice of "Like Merchant Ships." =) But her response was: "We always go home so I can feed my little boy lunch and then put him down for a nap. Sorry to be so antisocial." (Or at least I think she said that last sentence. She was in the toddler room at that point, and it was a little loud.)

The frustrating thing was that I tried to cover all my bases. I had asked about her daily schedule earlier, and she mentioned that she tried to get him down for a nap by 2:00, and that she had to pick up her daughter by 1:45 from school. Her husband works from home, so I guess she can leave him there. It's 11:15 a.m. when we get out of CBS, and we both live close to the church. Maybe I miscalculated... Anyway, I tried. I don't know what else to do. The sad thing is that I know this will make it harder for me to get up the nerve to ask another mom again. Please pray that I'll have the strength and courage to keep trying, no matter how many times I get shot down... I'd like to have a chart or something that would make it possible for me to figure out exactly who would reach back to me and who won't. I hate the uncertainty of casting my nets and not knowing what will happen. But I guess that's just another part of trusting God...

Amy, the girl I met at church weeks ago who is also new in town, came over with her little girl yesterday. I don't want y'all to think I'm entirely friendless. We are settling in here, and I'm getting comfortable with things more. I wish I wasn't so extroverted sometimes. =)

Guess I'll treat myself by heating up a frozen burrito for lunch. =) It's raining here! Yeah! We've been in a drought for so long. Seth and I will enjoy a rainy afternoon, and I'll get some laundry done. And CBS was really great this morning. I really love this study, and I'm excited about getting started on next week's lesson...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new and lifelong friend is right around the corner; just continue to trust God for her to come along at the right time.
Your openness about this struggle is very inspiring.

Momma B. said...

I know how it feels. It feels personal, but I bet it isn't. She might have things going on at home or with her family that she hasn't shared. She might just not be able to function with anything else in her life. Or, she just really has a great schdule cycle going and doesn't want to rock the boat or she could be reading a great book and was thinking about it all through the study and couldn't wait to get home to pick it back up. Or she could be so tired that she just couldn't even think about getting to know someone new right now. Well, those are just some of the reasons that I have said no to various offers of activities. I know that right now my home time is precious. There is so much filling my days. Yet I am still lonely for female companionship. I just can't fit it in right now. SLeep wins out every time for me.

All that to say, keep your chin up. There could be a MILLION reasons that she turned you down. Maybe she couldn't spend the money eating out and didn't know how to tell you? ANother reason I have declined recently :) Don't give up. You have a lot to offer in friendship and soon that person who needs you will head your way!

Meredith said...

Oh no! I'm sorry for encouraging you to move beyond your comfort zone. I know that was awkward for you.

I seem to find a lot of moms who will agree, "Oh, let's do go to lunch sometime" in a hazy way. Then it can be even harder to follow up and work out a definite time.

That's why I've switched to offering a firm invitation to meet at a specific morning later in the week. For me, anyway, it solves the subsequent scheduling issues and the issue of who will bring up lunch again first.

Ellen said...

No worries, Meredith. I just wanted you to know that I did take your advice! =) I think it's good advice, really. It's what I usually do if I'm feeling more secure, and it was good to have a reminder. I'm sure it'll work out better next time around. Maybe I should try asking about a morning playdate... Seth's naps are such an interference with that, though. Maybe after he gives up one nap, but I'm not in a hurry for that to happen. =)