Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It's raining...

I'm soo excited about the rain! It's been pouring since this morning, and the air feels so cool and fresh. We've been in a drought for so long... all our grass in the front yard died. A plus to that was that David had to mow it, oh, about once a month. But it's still sad looking. My poor hanging plants couldn't take the heat, so until recently, they looked like they were clinging to life by a thread. Since the weather's gotten cooler, they've bloomed! I was this close to sending them to that great garden in the sky.

An observation on television... Ever since Seth has been born, I've stopped watching much tv. I don't know; something about the content kind of assaulted my senses in those early days and made an impression. I felt protective of my tiny wee one, and his tiny ears, and things that I didn't notice before offended the Mama Bear in me. So I stopped watching the occasional show or the news during lunch. Gradually, I stopped watching any tv at all during the day. Once we moved here, it was even easier to ignore for some reason. Our tv is behind closed doors in a corner wood cabinet, and since it's out of sight, it's really been out of mind. When Seth naps, sometimes I read, once I've gotten things done. I'm glad that I really can do without tv. I think it's a blessing that God has given me that it's been relatively easy to give up lately. Now, my internet addiction is another story...

But this morning, Seth and I went to get the Honda seatbelt fixed. We were sitting in the waiting room, and the tv in the corner was on. At first, it was on a morning news show. No biggy. Then Dr. Phall came on, and he was talking about s**u*al deviency. It was disgusting. And the longer he talked, the more stressed out I got. I was offended, and I can't remember being really offended by tv programming in awhile. I have gotten sensitized to it. Eventually, I had the guts to ask if anyone was watching, and when they said they weren't, I cut it off! I thought this was really interesting. Today I noticed the desensitizing nature of tv for the first time in a long time, and it was eye opening. I want to be more careful about what I watch, and I'm thankful that God is convicting my heart and making me feel cruddy when I see or hear something that I really shouldn't. I don't know if anyone else out there has noticed this same thing after a tv fast of any kind, but I'd be curious to see if your experience was similar...

Now that Seth is older, and he's napping more regularly, I've had a little more time to read. And I'm really enjoying being able to take advantage of this time. I know that it's fleeting, and I'm sure it will end all too soon once my baby boy starts getting more active. At the moment, I'm rediscovering some of my favorite authors. One of them is Willa Cather. I have read many of her works. My favorite has to be My Antonia. Her writing style is simple and strong. It reminds me a little of Ernest Hemingway. You can tell that she loves the wildness of nature, especially that of the Midwest. Her descriptive powers are amazing. When she talks about the harsh, proud, unyielding soil of the prairie, and how it breaks a man down and builds him back up, I feel something unnameable rise up in me. For years, it can break a man's heart and steal his blood and sweat, but then one day, it will open it's heart to him, and it will burst forth with hard won bounty to bless his days. I can't do her writing justice, but I recommend that you pick up My Antonia to start and then move on to O Pioneers. Happy rainy day reading!

3 comments:

SMS said...

It's raining here today and sure wish I was at home reading a nice book. Stephen and I have never had cable in our house since we have been married. First it was because we were dirt poor .. then we just couldn't bare to start spending the money on it because we got so used to life without it. We have a set of rabbit-ears and NetFlix and watch a lot of shows directly from the internet (TLC and Discovery let you do this as well as most of the networks) - our TV is connected to our computer. Stephen and both are really into current culture and film and that means we like some of the current shows like Lost and Heros - not ashamed that we watch this stuff as it is part of what we are interested in. So I am not saying that we are on any sort of TV Fast since we are still consuming TV programming on a regular basis. What I will say is that we much prefer to watch things online or our NetFlix movies because we can choose what we watch and not be subject to the mind-numbing commercials that play every 3-4 minutes on television. I will also say that I can not stand to sit and watch random TV like I once could when I was a kid. It makes me feel as sick inside as when I read US Weekly or one of those trashy mags. I actually feel something similar to car-sickness.
Stephen and I occasionally pine for cable though.. when the reception is bad or we really want to watch something that doesn't come free online..so recently when we flew JetBlue we were excited to watch the free cable while we winged our way down south. Ummm.... we lasted about 15 minutes before we were both so discussed and sickened by all the choices, commercials and channel surfing that we turned both of our units off and took a nap instead. I guess what I am saying in this huge comment.. is that Yes, I am a TV consumer.. but YES TV (if not consumed in a tightly controled manner) makes me feel pretty nasty inside. I kinda hate it.. except for the shows that I like.. am I making any sense at all?!?! How much coffee did I drink this morning?!?!? I hate general TV at large.. I like a few select shows that I choose to watch. And by the way.. morning TV/Day-Time TV shows are the WORST!!! They will make you want to poke your eyes out with a hammer. Nasty. Ok... I'm done now.

SMS said...

wow that post is so much longer than I thought it would be and it has SO many spelling errors.. sorry Ellen and Ellen's audience.

Sherry said...

Ellen, I couldn't agree with you more. I used to love watching TV when I was younger, but I have been without cable since 2003 now and I must say I have not missed it at all. Like Sarah said in her comment, there are a few shows David and I will watch by either renting the show from the video store or watching online, but I also agree with her about the commercials. I can't STAND them now. Along with all those "mind numbing" commercials and all the other crap that's on TV now, I really feel it isn't worth watching. Plus I don't want to just open up my brain and let the liberal media pour into it whatever they want. I am going to value myself enough to protect my mind and not put unnecessary garbage into it. And I know that when I do have kids, I will be glad that I have started this mindset early on. There are so many other, more productive things you can do than waste time in front of the TV.
So, that's my 2 cents too.
Have another great rainy reading day!