Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Busy few days...

Ok, I know I've been awol for a bit. It's been a little crazy around here. But I really prefer crazy to blah, so I was happy. But I have missed blogging...

David and I had a great date on Saturday night. We ate at a local Chinese buffet that we went to on a date long, long ago, and then we headed to the $1.50 movie to see "Pirates of the Caribbean." We like mindless action flicks occasionally, and we'd seen all the others. I was afraid that things were going to go awry when the fire alarm went off during the previews. Fortunately, we were able to go back inside after a couple of minutes, and we even got our seats back. It felt weird to be out at 10:00 p.m. Wendy and Jon were troopers, putting up with Mr. Crankypants even after he started to melt down 15 minutes before bedtime. He's also on a formula strike. He won't take it from anyone. Well, at least I can just wake him up to feed him when I get home. He won't starve....

Yesterday, I had my long awaited bladder appointment. The doctor did a cystoscopy, and it was so fun. Not. But it showed that I have a beautiful bladder and urethra. Drat. I was hoping for polyps or something else obvious. At this point, he thinks I have overactive bladder, and he prescribed some medicine that I don't plan to take unless I really need it. At this point, I'm noticing a pattern. I think this problem is hormonal. I have never had it during the week of my period, but I have had bad flareups right around the time that I would be ovulating. He said that's a possibility, and as my hormones level out, it could go away. Since I haven't ovulated normally in 5 years, I'm wondering if my bladder is having a hard time with the newness of my hormonal shifts. He said that overactive bladder usually does go away, so I'm hoping for that.

Seth and I went to playgroup this morning for our small group at MOPs. Two other moms and their kids showed up at our leader's house, and we had a good time. I kept him up through his morning nap, but he slept late this morning, so he was ok. I think I'm going to really enjoy getting to know these women. And this morning, my openness had an obvious up side. I'm soo glad sometimes that I talk too much. I told them about my worries about my period, how since it started up, I've had it 34, 28, and 18 days apart, and the last one really scared me. Well, this mom of four asked, "Is he breastfeeding more lately?" And come to think of it, he is. The doctor told me to wake him up to feed him before bed starting two months ago, and for the past few weeks, he's woken up an additional time, too. She said that that can shorten your cycle if you're nursing. It made me feel soooo much better to hear that. And if I wasn't a loudmouth, I wouldn't have heard it. Hurray for openness. It can lead to comfort from others.

The leader of our playgroup lives only about 5 minutes from here, but her neighborhood is as different from mine as day from night. She lives in a huge, beautiful house with crown molding, shining hardwoods, and designer paint colors. I walked in, and I immediately wondered if they would feel ok in my tiny little house. I wondered if all the other moms lived in really nice places like this. I started to feel a little like po' folk. Then I got home, pulled into my driveway, and saw the lush, green yard, and the playset. I walked in the door, and saw my living room's sweet coziness. And I remembered that I don't really care to keep up with the Jones'. I like my house, and I don't really want to live in a large home with all the fancy trimmings. It just wouldn't be me. We can't afford a place like that, and I'm ok with that. It's amazing how a couple of hours there can get me flustered and discontented for a bit, though. I'm glad for a reality check. And I'm going to invite them all over here anyway....

Oh yeah, and the last tidbit. The doorbell rang while I was typing, and it was a registered letter from the Justice's office. I opened it, and it was a picture of David and Vice-President Cheney. It was signed, "Best Wishes, Dick." David and the the other clerks and the Justice had lunch with him at the VP's residence right before we left DC. Cool!! I'm going to frame it for David's office.... And now my squirmy baby refuses to sit on my lap another second, and he's going down for nap. Bye, y'all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ellen, I so enjoy your blog! I wish we had gotten to know each other better when your family was here. And I have been on the benefiting end of your loud mouth a few times. . .I was very thankful for your openess to share.